Saturday, June 14, 2014

Remaining in the Here and Now

As of the 15th of June, we have been traveling for 17 months.  It's hard to believe that I've been living with all my belongings strapped to me for this long- like I'm a turtle.  The idea of returning home to my stored clothing is overwhelming.  I'm already planning a yard sale- I don't even want to unpack the boxes.  I have to remind myself that I won't have to carry it all.  

And what will I do when I get back- where will I work?  Will I be able to bike to work?  Will I be able to find a good used road bike?  Will my cat forgive me for being gone this long?  And more- but that's enough for here. These are the random thoughts that fill my mind even though I will not be home until September.  On long treks, my mind is filled with these questions or of all the things I want to do when I'm home and of all the people that I want to hug.  

All day today, I've been bizarrely sluggish as we hiked through the amazing rock formations in Belogradchik, Bulgaria.  I felt that my legs were heavy, my motivation lacking and my enjoyment was at a minimum.  I couldn't put my finger on it and then I just saw the first pictures of Oyster Festival in my hometown (Arcata, CA) coming through on Facebook.  Yep, that's it.  I'm homesick.  

It's festival season at home- one of the things I have always loved most summer.  In fact, I love them so much and feel that they are such a vitally important aspect of a strong and compassionate community that I used to work for months with others to organize community festivals all because I loved watching the joy that eminates from the crowd as they spend those special days living in the moment- not worrying about their life stresses, seeing their friends and community all together in one spot, all listening to the same great tunes and appreciating the incredible artisans fill the space their beautiful creations.  

As I stood outside looking at the beautiful farms that surround me in Western Bulgaria, I realized that that I'm not living in the moment like those currently slurping oysters at Oysterfest.  I'm already planning for things that I can't control several months in the future.  Nathan found this great quote that I think is appropriate- "Worrying does not empty tommorow of it's troubles, it empties today of it's strength"- Corrie ten Boom.  Indeed.  Here's to refocusing and fully enjoying the present as we travel the final leg of our amazing trip.  My cat will forgive me and the rest will fall into place. 



The Belogradchik rocks and Nathan, who's always there to inspire and motivate me.

The Belogradchik Fortress.  

The view from town. 

No comments:

Post a Comment